Crochet drink coasters using plarn. Make them a bit larger to use them as mats under potted plants.
- Size N hook (preferably metal)
- Size G or any smaller hook for finish work
- Plarn (about five plastic bags)
- Bottom liner for finished coaster (optional)
First round: Make magic adjustable ring; make one single crochet.
Tip: For more stability in working with the plarn, make one loop on hook then work first single crochet by working hook around the plarn ring, yarn over and draw up a loop around the ring, yarn over and pull through both loops.
Single crochet seven more times, eight stitches total.
Tighten loop. Note: the hole may get bigger as stitches are worked. When piece is finished, tighten the loop again, pull a loop through a nearby stitch (using a smaller hook) then draw end through the loop to make a knot by pulling tightly. Weave end through work and trim excess.
Second round: work two single crochet in each stitch around.
Note: pattern is worked in a spiral so first two single crochets are worked into first single crochet of the first round.
Next rounds: alternate between one and two single crochets in each stitch around. If piece begins to curl, rip out last few stitches and work two single crochets in each stitch for that round.
Work until each side measures 2” from center to edge.
Edging: slip stitch into next single crochet, chain one and crab stitch (also called reverse single crochet) around.
Slip stitch into first crab stitch. Finish off, weave in end.
If desired, attach a bottom liner to the coaster. We like to use inverted lids from plastic food containers, such as margarine or sour cream. Or cut rounds out of clean plastic gallon milk jugs. Glue them to the bottom side of the coaster.
- First round: Make magic adjustable ring, sc (make loop on hook, working around the plarn ring, YO, draw up loop around the ring and YO pull through both loops.
- sc 7 times more, 8 sts total.
- Second round: 2 sc in each sc around. Note: pattern is worked in a spiral so first two single crochets are worked into first single crochet of the first round.
- Next rounds: 1 sc, 2 sc in next st around increasing as needed until each side measures 2” from center to edge.
- Edging: sl st in next sc, ch 1, reverse sc (crab stitch) around, sl st into first crab stitch.
- Finish off, weave in end.