Amigurumi is the Japanese art of crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. Amigurumi is its own technique, so patterns for these animals will not be provided here; there are plenty of sites providing patterns. Start with:
Tips for making amigurumi out of plarn:
- Cut plarn into one-inch strips rather than an inch and a half
- Use a smaller hook than usual, such as a “J”
- Amigurumis are made using a single crochet stitch instead of the typical half double crochet stitch for bags
- Stuff the animals with scrap left over from cutting out loops for plarn, i.e. the handles and the bag bottoms. No waste!
- No need to weave in ends: just stuff them inside using the blunt end of your crochet hook